Sunday, December 7, 2008

I'm comin' home

That's right, one more week and I should be back in the great city of Regina...at least for a while.

Monday marks the first day of the last tour of my practicum. I also have made it to the interview stage of the hiring process for a job our here in Sherwood Park. My interview is Friday, and if it goes well the wife and I could be packing our bags for Alberta in a few months time. I can't believe I might become one of those sellouts that moves to Alberta...but I take solace in that fact that it won't be Calgary.

But nothing is for sure at this point, I think I just need to start getting used to the idea. If we do come this way, it won't be an easy decision.

Other than that my practicum had been going well. I have been to my first fire, I have done CPR on someone - who we brought, and then they died anyway. I've seen a dead person, some sick kids, some very sick people who did nothing to deserve what they have. And after all that I am still sure that this is the line of work I want to be in. I have to admit that it is a good feeling when someone looks at you for help, when you can make there bad day a little better. Sometime it is with treatment, and sometimes it is just by chatting with them.

It's also sort of strange to see how little we do in most cases. We always go through the process to make sure nothing life threatening is going on, then we sort of just make them comfortable and take them to the hospital. For the most part any person willing to chat with a stranger could do the job.

It's not all roses. I can see how some of the guys around the hall would be tough to be around all the time. But that is only about 3 or 4%of the guys. And there is a lot of gross shit...and I mean shit. Blood and shit. I have been to three rectal bleeds. That is just not cool. The shift work is tough, it's really hard on the sleeping patterns. Getting 2 hours here, 3 hours there. I am always very tired by the time I get done my last night, and I am pretty much ruined for an entire day after that. And it can't be healthy jumping up in the middle of the night to slide down a pole. The ol heart isn't supposed to go from 60bpm to 120 in about 3 seconds.

Anyway, I can't believe I am almost done with this schooling thing again. It will be nice to get back to living with my girlfri...I mean wife, Mrs. Brody. It has been long enough living apart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering what your deal is!!!

Anonymous said...

do you have to carry pepper spray? I had my first experience (not sprayed directly at me but I was in the vicinity) and it was not fun. I imagine if you spray it that it is just as bad for you. I think you will have a strong resistance to Alberta. The opposition may start a coalition.

Anonymous said...

No, we don't carry pepper spray. Just axes. If there is any questionable people the cops come with and do the pepper spraying.

Anonymous said...

Can you put pepper spray on a burrito? Would it be tasty?