Thursday, October 4, 2007

Bosses

So I found out today that I am getting a new boss. It will be my first male boss since I joined my current company. He already works for us, but is coming over from the operations side to work on sales. I know him a little, pretty nice guy, and I think – think- he will be good to work for. I will likely loose a little freedom, reason being that since the last VP sales was let go in Feb, I have been reporting to the Executive VP of our area, and while a great boss, she didn’t really have time to worry about my day to day activities. I pretty much did whatever I thought was necessary each day. With new guy – we’ll call him Barry, coming in, I assume that he will have a little more say in what we do. Barry works out of Calgary, so once again my boss will not be in the same location as I am.
Counting back the last couple of years, I have worked for two organizations in a little over 2 and half years, and Barry will be my 6th boss, and only 3 of those bosses have been in the same city/town that I am. I have also changed locations/offices 7 times. Keeps things interesting I guess.
I think I would have to put my last boss as my favorite. She was very blunt, very open, and I didn’t feel like there was any BS with her. It was nice being so close to that top line of decision making. But Barry should have more time to assist us in Sales, so it will be nice to have that backup when struggling to get results from internal resources.
It interesting how different bosses can be, and how as their employee you have to alter your style to mesh with theirs. My first at the bank was an old school, worked hard in his office, first in, last to leave, didn’t interact with the employees much. My next one was a lot like Michael Scott from The Office. He wanted to be everyone’s friend, but no one really liked him…or respected him. Next boss was in a different city, but he was very supportive, would dive out if I needed help, complimented good work, I would say a pretty good boss and a pretty good guy. Next was my first boss in my current company, she was the smoke-oholic, stressed out, always doing 6 things at once, little ball of energy. She always look sort of tired and sort of overwhelmed, often expressed how much she had to do and how busy she was. I kind of felt sorry for her, and eventually she was let go. Then there was my current boss, very open, very well respected by her employees, very supportive, very smart executive type. When she talks everyone listens. Like I said before- probably the best of the bunch.

But now there is another one to bring in and train. I’ll have him whipped into shape in now time.

Fun and games…fun .and . games.

Anybody else have any interesting bosses over the years?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes I have had intersting bosses over the years. Thanks for asking.

For a time I had an interesting streak of bosses that had cougar wives. That has since ended. However, the influx of cougars at the past few jobs had made up for that.

I find the best bosses are those that like to take you for drinks after work and pay for it.