Tuesday, October 30, 2007

How fit am I – about Average

So in preparation for my trip to Vermillion in early December for two days of evaluating to determine who gets in to the fire college, I am working on improving my physical fitness. While searching for ideas on the website of Men’s Health, I found the Men’s Health Challenge. It is 5 different categories that you measure yourself to see how fit you are. Basically you come in 4 different areas – Unfit – Average – Fit – and Men’s Health Fit, depending on how you do when you track your own performance. As it turns out the categories you are measured in – Pushup’s, Chin-up’s, Vertical, One-leg squats, and the 1 mile run – are similar to the areas I will be measured on in Vermillion. So for the next 5 weeks I cam going to dedicate myself to this work out.

On Sunday I tested myself to see how I measured up. As if to confirm my blog of a few weeks ago, this little test had confirmed that once again I am AVERAGE:
Chin-ups- I did 6 – Avg.
Vertical – 18 inches – Avg.
1 Leg squats – 1 (they are hard) – Avg.
1 mile run – 7:49 – Avg.
The only area I was above avg was push-ups, as I squeezed out 40, and that is just above avg.

So I take all these figures and log them in to the website, and in big, bold letters it says – YOU'RE AVERAGE! As if I didn’t know that already.

I scored 22/40, but I will follow this workout and test myself again in a week and see if I can improve.

No comments: