Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ah the downtown drunks.

I was sitting in my officle this afternoon, typing away on my computer and I hear one of the guys a few officles over yelling for me to look out the window. So I get up and have a look and there laying in the middle of the parking lot is this guy, facedown, spread eagle, absolutely motionless. We watch him for a few seconds and then we decide to call 911 to be safe. But I head down stairs with one of my other coworkers to see if this guy is alive. As we go outside and walk up to this guy he opens his eyes and looks right at us. Immediately I was sure he was just plastered. The smell of booze coming from him was my first clue, the second was the empty bottle of vodka laying a few feet away. I ask him how he is doing and he says not very fucking good. Asked him if he was drunk and he confirms that he is. At this point he is still laying on his belly in the middle of the parking lot alleyway, so we tell him he should get up and move to the near by wall. But before he gets up asks me “you can see I don’t have anything on me right?” I just say “ya, sure”, I hadn’t even think about that until he said it. But he gets up and he swaying back and forth like a sailor on rough seas. He starts to move to the wall, but turns around and goes for his smoke that is laying a few feet the other direction. There is a lighter about 6 feet to his left, a toonie about 6 feet to his right, and his jacket is over by the wall. He gets his smoke, I kick his lighter over to him, and he asks me for a ride home. My coworker responds that we don’t have cars. I have to say he was a very polite drunk, he even asks us if we wanted to come sit down beside him and have a drink. Haha. Then the guy who called 911 comes out and says the ambulance is coming, and it arrives pretty promptly. We explain that the guy is just drunk, but they ask if he will get it the trunk and he does, so now he is their problem and I returned to my desk, a little disappointed I didn’t get to do more.

Ah yes, good old downtown riffraff.

Am I allowed to make two post in one day… not sure of the proper blog etiquette.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes you can post twice in one day, but only if the second is in regards to the local drunks of Albert St.

That's good practice for being a firefighter. I hear it's not just rescuing cats from trees, but more dealing with the drunks, druggies, and etcetera.

Question - how did Josh get so far from home when Michelle had the truck?

Dave said...

"but they ask if he will get it the trunk and he does" The trunk??? Thats awesome.

Anonymous said...

oops, that was supposed to be truck. haha. That woud be some questionable EMT'ing, but man that would have been a site to see.

Anonymous said...

When I get that drunk I don't know where I end up and how I got there. Sometimes I'll call the ambulance, then they drive me to the general, then it's a short walk to the liquor store and all my buds hangin outside it. I usually start with a 40 of Malt Liquor, like Big Bear. Then move on the Vodka from there. (depending on the current state of my allowance that is). I was walking home when I tripped over my laces in the parking lot. And that bastard Brody wouldn't even give me a ride home, or mention that it was me. I exist man!