Friday, November 23, 2007

My Top 10 most anticipated sporting events in my life

10. 2003 Big Moose Final – Kenosee Lake 2003 vs the Saskatoon Outlaws- we should have won, they beat us in the bottom of 7. It hurt like hell.
9. 2001 MLB Division Series –Yankees vs Twins – I saw games 1-2 live. The Metrodome was loud, but twins lost both on way to loosing series 3-0.
8. 1992 World Series – Finally the Jays were in the world series. I remember Candy Maldonado making the final out in the ALCS to put them in the series. I was just old enough to be a big fan.
7. 2001 Memorial Cup – Regina hosted and the pats had an awesome team – if only they had a better tender they would have won. I only went to one game live but it was a beauty.
6. 1998 Olympic Hockey – This first Olympics where NHL’ers were allowed to play. Unfortunately they put Rob Zamnuer on the team and we were lost. I still hate shootouts because of that year.
5. 2003 World Juniors – after losing the previous two years after entering into the 3rd period with the lead we were coming back with a vengeance in 03.
4. 1993 World Series – after the win in ’92 it made bigger Jays fans out of many people. They had an awesome team this year, I think it was better than the ’92 team.
3. 2007 Rider Home Playoff Game vs Calgary – Never, Never have I been in atmosphere like that. Mosaic Stadium was rocking!
2. 2007 Grey Cup – Only 2 more sleeps. Go Riders Go! This town is excited!
1. 2002 Olympic Hockey- The only event that can beat this year Grey Cup. I looked forward to that event for 4 years. It made my 2002. I don’t know if I will ever be that excited for a sporting event again.

GO RIDERS GO!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see that the leafs are not mentioned anywhere.

Anonymous said...

That's true, I could have put the game 7 against the Kings in the conference final in 1993, but that brings back to many bad memories. F-ing Gretzky.

And as great Herman Edwards said "put you name on it"

Anonymous said...

What about the 2006 Regina Church Hockey Championship? :'D

Anonymous said...

Indeed. I also get very excited for World Cup of Hockey (formerly the canada cup) events. They are so few and far between that it seems every country has its absolute best. I remember the 1996 cup and how Brett Hull broke my heart with a USA victory. some of the best Canadian teams ever assembled were world cup teams. That's what happens when Mark Messier doesn't get picked to play. Who can forget the 1987 Lemiuex goal to win it all on a magical pass from Gretzky, with hawerchuk on the other wing, possibly the greatest hockey line of all time. That was one of my greatest goal of all time.

I think I like it so much because it is seperate from the Olympics, so it's just hockey, no other biatholons or synchronized swimming debacles, just the best in the world playing hockey. 2004 was the last year they had it, and with Lemiuex captaining the squad, Canada ended up winning every major hockey title that year.

incidentally, since it began in 76, Canada has been in the finals every year.