Saturday, September 6, 2008

Stuck in the middle

Last night it came to my realization again that somehow I just haven't been able to find my crowd here at school. I feel i am liked, and I enjoy the company of many of my classmates, but I really don't fit in great with any of the main groups. Let me break it down for you.

The way I see it there are about 4 groups of people here at school. The first two I don't have much to do with, the second two I really feel is where I am stuck in the middle.

1) "The Youngsters" - these guys are decent enough, but they are about 8 years my junior. Some of them might be just like me when they are 26 but right now we just don't have much in common.
2) "The Always Go Homes" - there is the group that goes home every weekend. They might be good people but they are never around on the weekend to get to know. They don't seem very interested in hanging with the group.
3) "The Friendly musicians" - these folks are my kind of people...almost. They are super nice, great to visit with, down to earth, and I consider them friends. They really are the kind of people you want to know, the kind of people that make the world a better place. However there is one major problem... our interested are not the same at all. These folks regularity get together on the weekends to "JAM". They are really quite good, I have listened to them often. But it's no secret that I don't do music. I don't know why exactly, but it just doesn't "speak to me" if that makes sense. But that is only half the problem... they don't like sports - ANARCHY, ANARCHY! Not only do they not take an interested in any sporting event, they don't even have TV- NO TV I TELL YOU. No talk about sportscentre, the football game, or ever non related sports shows such as Lost, Heroes, or the Office. Sometimes they try, they will ask me about the riders or the blue jays - but I know they are just amusing me, they don't really care, and they certainly don't care about watching any games. I do think that many of you readers of this blog would like these folks. In fact if some of you were around then it would make the whole thing more comfortable, there could be some music combined with some current events talk. When hanging out with these folks there is way to much just sitting and listening got music that I can't understand and don't care much about, no matter how good they are. And I think they are pretty good.
4) “The Drunken Sports Fans” - This is the other main group that I spend much of my time with. Interestingly enough, the drunken sports fans do not do much hanging with the friendly musicians. Now, at first glance you might ask - what's not to like about a drunken sports fan??? Well the problem is “drunken” comes before “sports fan.” You know those drunken fools at sporting events that are so drunk you know they can't even see the play, and their is no way they will remember the game. All though sports fans most of these guys are still more interested in drinking then they are the game. You get the feeling that to them sports is more off an excuse to drink than a reason to have a drink. I like hanging with these guys but I also am past the days that I need to get wasted on a Tuesday night, and I don’t really enjoy going to the clubs anymore either. What about a good pub fellas??

But in the end it doesn’t matter, I just hope that when I get hired somewhere I fit in with everyone a little bit more.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you always fit in when you come home.

Brody said...

Thanks stranger. I do feel like I fit when I come home.

Anonymous said...

Go Riders! Da-da-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding....

Anonymous said...

I like you just the way you are!! And I will hang out with you any day!

Anonymous said...

I like my happy medium. Although the extent of my athletics lately has been slowpitch and the odd fun hockey tourney, and my musicianship is less frequent, there was a day when I was a double threat rock star/jock. I know, it's tough to believe I'm available.

Now, the sports/music is mostly reflected in my blogs.

Also, the firefighters that I know are good guys that I'm sure you'd get along with just fine. You'll find someone someday, just hang in there champ.

Anonymous said...

You just need to find your inner musician I recommend the triangle.

Brody said...

I was thinking symbols, but triangle could work.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the musical world is at a loss with you: cymbal.

How ever cave drawings: symbol.

Brody said...

Ouch. Yep, it looks like I am hopeless. That is just embarrassing.